District Transfers

20/21 SCHOOL YEAR, JANUARY 7, 2020


An inter-district transfer is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance area outside of their district.
California ED Code 46600 permits parents/guardians to request an inter-district transfer/reciprocal agreement. The fundamental basis for this provision is the signing of an agreement between districts. Inter-district transfer/reciprocal agreement must be approved by both the student's original district of residence and the district to which the student seeks to transfer to. Both districts must approve the agreement before it becomes valid. The agreement may extend for a maximum of five consecutive years and may include terms or conditions. It is within the authority of either the home district or the receiving district to revoke an inter-district transfer/reciprocal agreement at any time for any reason the local board or district superintendent deems appropriate.
The Superintendent or designee may approve an inter-district attendance permit for a student for any reasons when stipulated in the agreement. AR5117.

Inter-District Transfer (Incoming)

  • Contact your district of residence to complete and submit an Inter-District Transfer Request Form.  
  • In addition to the signed and approved inter-District form, we will need copies of your students last report card, transcript, attendance, discipline (if any), and copies of IEP/504 (if applicable), before we can process.
SJUSD approval or denial of an inter-district transfer is based on these criteria's:
  • Whether or not the school that is being requested is impacted; and
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0; and
  • Attendance at a minimum of 90%; and
  • Satisfactory discipline.
All requests are subject to space availability.

Inter-District Transfer (Outgoing) from SJUSD TO another district:

  • Make an appt with Kirk Strickland, Administrator, Student Intervention & Attendance to request to go out of SJUSD.
  • Provide proof of acceptance or enrollment of your student in the district you are requesting.  
  • If on an IEP/504, provide a copy of the most recent. SJUSD Support Service will need to approve transfer as well.
If a request for an inter-district transfer/reciprocal agreement is denied, the student's parents/guardians may file an appeal to SJUSD Student Intervention & Attendance Office located at 4075 Nielson Rd., Phelan, CA 92371, within 30 days of receipt of the official notice of denial of the transfer.


An intra-district transfer/open enrollment is when parents/guardians wish to register/admit/enroll their student(s) at a school other than the designated school that is in their attendance are within their district.
  • Complete and submit to SJUSD an Intra-District/Open Enrollment Form
  • SJUSD will review and process your request.
All requests are subject to space availability.
If you have a question as to what school your student should go to, click on this link to see our school boundaries- SJUSD BOUNDARIES.
Kirk Strickland
Administrator SIA
SARB Administrator
Cheyenne Tatum
Social Worker
Foster Youth/Homeless Liaison
Lyne McGuire
Secretary SIA
Office: 760-868-5817 Ext. 10142
FAX: 760-868-5309